Saturday 21 August 2010

Blackberry Crumble Cake

We went blackberry picking on a recent walk around some local lakes. We ended up stained fingers and a hefty freezer bag full and as the bushes around the three mile walk of the lake were heavily thick with them and there were twice as many that were almost ready to get ripening.

Almost as soon as I got home I knew two things I definitely wanted to make. Apple and Blackberry Crumbles and Blackberry Crumble Cake. But what to do with the rest…?

Blackberry Crumble Cake

Cake Bottom

115gr butter

115gr golden caster sugar

2 eggs

115gr self raising flour

1/2tsp good vanilla extract

Fruity Centre

150gr blackberries (washed well if you picked your own)

Crunchy Crumble Topping

(this makes twice the amount of crumble topping than you’ll actually need. I used the rest to make some simply apple and blackberry crumbles)

75gr plain flour

75gr demerara sugar

50gr ground almonds

30gr butter

Preheat the oven to 180o/c

1, Make the cake base by creaming the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add in the eggs and extract, mix and sift in the flour. Cakey base done!

2, Line a 28cm by 19.5cm rectangular roasting dish with greaseproof paper and pour in the batter.

3, Sprinkle the blackberries on top

4, Make the crumble topping by mixing all the dry ingredients together and rub in the butter until just combined. Sprinkle half on the cake.

5, Bake the cake for 30-35 minutes until an inserted skewer comes out clean.

6, Cool through before serving.

5 comments:

  1. Ok I think I have it figured out. You need to rid the word verification, change the size of your comment box so it is smaller, or easiest would be to have the comment box come up in an entirely new page. Email me if you need help. I finally was able to comment by hitting the tab button until it allowed me to submit. I am guessing you would have a million more comments on here from me and others if it would allow us too; your blog is fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I didn't even realise there was a problem! I've jiggled it around a bit, using your awesome advice, so hopefully it should work a bit better! Thanks very much for stopping by and helping out! =D
    x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes , I tried leaving a comment too, but couldn't figure it out. Now able to do so on your amazing blog. Those little gingerbread men are so cute. I've made blackcurrant crumble cakes before but not blackberry - these look delicious. When I've had a surplus of blackberries in the past, I've dunked them in alcohol with some sugar and a cinnamon stick for a few months and made some very nice blackberry liqueur.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cakes with a crumble topping, my ideal comfort food. Your blackberry crumble cake looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments! I ended up making another one of these and some more apple and blackberry crumbles (which are waiting in the freezer!) I might go blackberry picking again just to make some blackberry liqueur!

    It's definitely one of my favourite comfort foods, and the second time I made the crumble cake, it was just as lovely when it's a little bit warm!

    ReplyDelete