Saturday 29 January 2011

Crunchy Kohl Rabi and Apple Coleslaw



Kohl Rabi.  Ugly, isn’t it?



I’d never heard of it until we found one in a local market and then it’s spent a good few days sitting in the bottom of the fridge.  They are from the cabbage family and are just like a big swollen root the size of a tennis ball. 

I decided to turn it into a coleslaw especially as although I’m overly fond of ‘stick-to-your-ribs’ food, it’s nice to have a something fresh and crunchy!

Ingredients
1 kohl rabi (or white cabbage if they are proving illusive)
1 small onion
1 crunchy eating apple
2 spring onions
1tsp white wine vinegar
Light mayonnaise
Salt and pepper

Method
1, Peel and julienne the kohl rabi and apple and finely slice the onion.  I did mine on a mandolin so it was all vaguely uniform.
2, Finely chop the spring onion and toss everything together
3, Stir in the white wine vinegar and add mayonnaise to taste.  I only used a tiny bit as I’m not a huge fan of mayonnaise.
4, Season to taste and serve. 

I’ve added kohl rabi seeds to my list for the cottage garden this year!  Going to order them tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment