Sunday 17 April 2011

Mini Baked Chai Doughnuts

I found it! I found it!



Last time I was looking for my doughnut tin, I had a nasty cold.  I had made my doughnut batter but then couldn’t find the tin and ended up making something else.

Still, tiny chai donuts danced on my mind. 



This morning I was pulling out all my cake tins looking for a couple of baking sheets and my Teflon baking mat when there, glinting at me, snuggled between my Madeline tin and a silicone ice cube mould was the doughnut tin.  I stared at it.  You little… In my snot filled haze I couldn’t see the wood for the trees.  Or indeed the tin in the tins…

So, the chai doughnut experiment proceeded.  And I deem that experiment to be a success!


Makes around 24 mini doughnuts
Ingredients
140gr plain flour
3tbsp instant chai powder
80gr golden caster sugar
1tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
Zest of one lemon
1 egg
2 tbsp melted but cooled butter (plus extra for greasing)
250ml buttermilk

Icing sugar and cinnamon for dusting



Method
Preheat oven to 180o/c
1, In one bowl sift together all the dry ingredients
2, In another bowl/jug mix in the wet ingredients and lemon zest together well
3, Pour the wet ingredients onto the dry ingredients and stir until just combined, like muffin batter
4, Line your mini doughnut tin well with melted butter and dust onto of that a little more plain flour, just to make sure they don’t stick. If your using a silicone mould then this shouldn’t be a problem!
5, Fill each little doughnut indent about half full with the batter. It is a pretty sticky and gloopy batter so I ended up putting it into a freezer bag, snipping off one of the corners and using it like a makeshift piping bag.  Less is more when filling the tins, or else you’ll end up with these Jabba sized ones with no hole…



6, Bake for around 4-5 minutes until firm to the touch and risen.
7, Remove from the oven and take the doughnuts out of the tin and cool on a cooling rack.
8, I rolled these ones in sifted icing sugar with cinnamon.  




3 comments:

  1. These look perfect! I'd never have thought of chai in doughnuts but i love both so i'd love to try replicate these!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. flavourful delicious doughnuts looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look brilliant-the chai must give the doughnuts a beautiful, delicate taste. Perfect with chai tea, or is that too chai-tastic? A random new word I think I've created there!

    Katescakesandbakes

    ReplyDelete