Saturday 2 April 2011

Mocha Crinkles



I mentioned in my last post Jim and I had just celebrated our 6 year anniversary.  We decided to treat ourselves and buy a coffee machine.  We had a wander around an English Heritage site near Canterbury and then popped into a couple of cookware shops to find a coffee machine.  We found one we liked, asked if they had it in cream (I only have one specification, it has to match Rosie the Kitchenaid) and they didn’t.  We decided to Amazon it when we got back home. 

Then we made a fatal (to the coffee machine idea) mistake.  We nipped into Currys on the way home.  And walked out with a new TV.  I’ll admit that it’s 37 inches of beautiful, skinny LED-ness but farewell coffee machine, our budgets been blown.  Blown out of the water. 

I still fancy something coffee-y though.  Cue these little bites of happiness. 

Ingredients
175gr self raising flour
80gr golden caster sugar
1tsp instant coffee powder (or granules that are ground into powder)
½ tsp cocoa powder
100gr cold butter
1 egg

2tbsp cocoa powder mixed with 1 tbsp icing sugar for rolling the dough balls in

Method
1, Sift the flour, sugar, coffee and cocoa together
2, Cut the butter into chunks and rub it into the dry ingredients until it resembles breadcrumbs and no big bits of butter are left.
3, Add in your egg and bring the dough together to form a dough.  Wrap this in clingfilm and pop in the fridge for 30 minutes.  You don’t have to but it makes it a little easier to roll into balls.  It can be quite sticky.
4, When the dough is chilled, scoop up tablespoons of the dough, roll into balls and then roll in the cocoa/icing sugar mixture.
5, Place the balls on a lined baking sheet and refrigerate for a further 20 minutes
6, Preheat your oven to 180o/c and bake for 15-18 minutes until cooked through.  

2 comments:

  1. this looks delicious lovely snacks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary. The TV will keep you entertained and next celebration will be good for the coffee maker. Your crinkles sound delicious. I'm relatively new to your blog and have spent some time catching up with some of your older entries. I just wanted you to know how much I enjoy my visits here. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete