Friday 30 September 2011

Italian Blackberry Cake

After making one giant chocolate cake for my birthday, I didn't have the time to make another for my birthday soiree. We spent the majority of Saturday laying flooring in the kitchen which involved squeezing around appliances in the middle of our galley kitchen with hot pans, cleaning and making a copious amount of Italian food for some lovely friends.

I needed a cake recipe that was reliable, tasty and didn't require fancy piped icing or a multilayered monstrosity that had a questionable internal structure...

This recipe always comes up trumps for me. I made it with more seasonal blackberries and dusted it with icing sugar. (I normally make it with raspberries and glaze with glacé icing). It can be baked as cupcakes, round tins, square tins, what ever you have to hand. I baked mine this time in a shallow bunt tin

Ingredients
100gr soft butter
200gr golden caster sugar
2 eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
250ml sour cream
250gr self raising flour
150gr blackberries (fresh or frozen)

Method
Preheat the oven to 180o/c and grease a shallow bundt tin.
1, Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
2, Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract until well combined.
3, Beat in the sour cream until smooth.
4, Fold in the self raising flour and cocoa powder gently until just combined and then fold in the blackberries.
5, Pour into your cake tin and bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown, springy to the touch and an inserted knife comes out clean.
6, Dust heavily with icing sugar when cool.

1 comment:

  1. Simple and delicious, what could be better. I'm after a ring silicone mould, but haven't found managed to find one yet. Good luck with the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete