Wednesday 9 July 2014

Chilli Coconut Cashew Nuts


I think it's a myth that if you are an adult, that you have all your shit together. Like you can keep on top of your laundry and you remember to put salt in the dishwasher. You can get yourself ready in the morning leisurely, over some freshly brewed coffee and yes, you even made eggs. There is a meal plan that you write in beautiful calligraphy on a Pinterest worthy chalkboard in your beautiful kitchen. You probably enjoy the finer things in life, like good wine (i.e. ones not bought on offer at Sainsburys), the theatre and discussing politics.


This is pretty much crap. Pure crap.

I'm an adult and the only reason salt is put in the dishwasher is because there is an angry light that lights up on the new dishwasher when there isn't salt in there. I don't like being judged by technology. Empty laundry basket? That's funny.


I dont have time for eggs in the morning. I have time for throwing on an outfit, brushing my teeth and trying to avoid my cats trying to kill me on the stairs. I have a meal plan but am a big fan of coming home in a royal strop and wanting Thai food. Like now. What do I have drawn on my kitchen chalkboard? A ninja. There is a ninja on my chalkboard.

As for the finer things in life; yes, I own posh welly boots and enjoy wine. But sometimes it takes every fibre in my mortal being not to laugh when someone says "nuts". You're welcome 


Ingredients
1tbsp runny honey
1/2tsp coconut oil
200gr plain cashews (not roasted, or salted)
15gr dessicated coconut
1/4tsp salt
1/2 small dried red chilli, finely chopped


Method
1, Add the honey and coconut oil into a small suacepan and place over a low heat. When the oil has melted, give it a good stir and then add in the nuts. Stir this well until the nuts are completely covered in the honey/oil combo. 
2, Remove from the heat and add in the rest of the ingredients. Toss these together so the coconut and chilli sticks to the nuts. Scrape all of this out onto a lined baking sheet. 
3, Spread the nuts out, making sure you dont dislodge too much of the coconut from them and bake for 5-7 minutes until golden brown at 180 o/c. You might have to give them a little shake every now and then so they colour evenly. 
4, Leave to cool completely before snacking. 


3 comments: